Flat Tires and Good Samaritans

on Sunday, July 28, 2013
Yesterday was an interesting show of Filipino pride. After Kai and I finished up at Healthway in SM North, we were on our way down from the top level parking when I skid into the gutter. Moments later I eased into hazard mode and realized that my left front tire was flat. The rubber was torn so a simple pump (or Dad's fix- a-flat) wouldn't solve the issue.

If that wasn't enough, I had zero knowledge on how to change a tire. Luckily, one of the guards came over and offered to help me out. If things couldn't get any more ironic, I had absolutely NO idea where the tools and jack were in the car I was using. Again the guard was kind enough to help me locate them. Once we were starting our attempts at getting the spare tire from under the car, two other good souls stopped by (a dad and a driver) to lend their car expertise. I guess one of the issues was because they had the same car so their knowledge in the matter helped.

Together,  the four of us started figuring out why the spare tire wasn't falling smoothly as it should have. We realized then that the chain got stuck, preventing us from getting the tire down. The dad was kind enough to offer to lend his spare tire until I got the flat one vulcanized but considering the wear and tear of the flat,  that option was quickly crossed off the list.

It took some team effort but we finally managed to get the spare tire off. By the time this happened, another car stopped behind us and its driver and one of his friends came down and offered to help change the tire. Once again it was a combined effort for them; where to position the jack and getting the bolts loosened. Of course there I was not knowing what was happening but inwardly I had to be thankful. When all was said and done, the spare tire in place and the flat dumped in the back, they wished me well, I said my thanks and we all went our separate ways.

To my good Samaritans yesterday, you have my undying gratitude for offering your time, brawn and patience. My faith in humanity was definitely restored!

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.10

0 comments:

Post a Comment