Destination L.A.

on Sunday, August 5, 2012
*It is to be noted that I typed this entry on the plane, but I was only able to post this when I finally got net for my netbook.

It's been years since I last flew to the United States. Since my dad has been in the industry ever since I was born, we've always had this privilege to fly out to America every summer growing up. Our usual destination would be San Diego, California, considering a good number of our relatives reside there. But as time passed and we kids grew up, it became harder and harder to schedule these family vacations during the summer, starting with the year my brother entered college. We usually had summer semesters along with the usual school year, so planning had to shift to the vicinity of October and November.

This time around, all of us are now working. I'm currently on probationary status where I work for 6 months until November, but I was most fortunate to have accumulated compensation leaves from doing hours of overtime work for the past 3 months that allowed me to file for a leave that would last just a bit over 2 weeks.

Granted, I love my job. And if there would be any proof of that, it would be the positive evaluation I received just yesterday... if we still have not crossed the International Date Line. Taking a break from work for 2 weeks is most welcome, but somehow I couldn't shake off the fact that I still see myself going to work and testing out games from 8:30-5:30. But I don't think that's the point.

What IS the point is that as any year previous to this, our trip to the States is often never 100% full-proof. After all, using said connections of my dad, the tickets we have going to and from the States are non-reserved, or chance tickets meaning we could only get on the plane if there are available seats. With my dad's fairly recent promotion to Flight Purser, he gets the privilege of being able to upgrade our seats.

This is the first time I've ridden Mabuhay class; much more setting at the front of the plane. It's a very luxurious feeling with a fully reclining chair, my personal screen which I can choose what to watch and just the space. airplane food, good as it looks and probably tastes, never settles well with me during air travel.

This is the first time I've gone on a trip longer than a week - and to the States no less - during my relationship with Kai. The separation anxiety hurts, but I know our love is strong enough to make these 2 weeks go by quickly. When I return home, I know she'll be waiting for me to chat with her; as I am with her once that time comes. I love her so dearly, and I'll make sure that the wait is worth it. Doesn't hurt to find a good souvenir for her from New York too.

During my flight thus far, I tuned in to watch 3 movies so far: Rumor Has It (Mark Ruffalo), Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer (Chris Evans) and Australia (Hugh Jackman, Nicole Kidman and David Wenham). I'm deciding if I watch any more movies or crack open my book and continue reading. We do have about 3 more hours of flight time, but I was considering taking a good nap. We'll see.

0 comments:

Post a Comment