Review: Now You See Me

on Thursday, June 6, 2013
Last May 31, Kai and I had plans of watching a movie. It was a Friday, Mom would be finishing up work late, we had all the time in the world. With all the hype for Star Trek: Into Darkness going on for the past few weeks, we wanted to see if we could still catch it in theaters before it fazed out. Much to our dismay, none of the Ayala Malls (those prominent in Makati anyway) were showing it anymore. The trade-off for that, however, was a new movie had just opened: Now You See Me.

Just like before, I had my own personal reasons why I wanted to watch this:

1. I'm a sucker for magic-themed movies (i.e. The Prestige)
2. I'm a major Mark Ruffalo fan

Kai and I saw the trailer for this movie a while back, and the plot itself was enough to pull in interest. The clincher, of course, was finding out who the cast was, with Mark Ruffalo and Morgan Freeman among them. That being said, it was a real treat and an absolute must to watch it! I immediately reserved us seats for the 6:20 showing. Below is my review. My apologies for any spoilers this might cause. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

The movie starts off with a magic trick. I mean, it has to. Not surprisingly, the audience was baffled by how it happened, and that I guess is one of the great parlor tricks that lures the audience into a continuous suspension of disbelief. As the movie continues on, we are introduced to the four magicians who make up The Four Horsemen, a super group who are guided by some mysterious benefactor later revealed to be a character portrayed by Michael Caine.

When they pull off a big bank heist, this gets the attention of the FBI, where a detective Dylan Rhodes played by Mark Ruffalo is assigned to handle the case. Annoyed at first, he finds himself paired up with an Interpol agent as they chase down the Horsemen. After all is said and done, the greatest twist is revealed at the end of the movie, which I won't bother spoiling since it's just too epic to describe.

One thing is for certain though: Mark Ruffalo is the star of the show. He might as well have been dubbed a magician in his own right, and the pacing of the movie itself never left a niche to get bored, at least in my book. You'll just have to watch the movie for yourself. :) Overall, I highly recommend the movie!

0 comments:

Post a Comment