DIY Screwdrivers

on Tuesday, April 29, 2014
(Finally, a decent blog post!)

AHEM.

As far back as I could remember, I've always enjoyed the thought of playing with tools and using them for one thing or another. A lot of the time I enjoyed being the one to use the screwdrivers to change the batteries of toys and radios and stuff, and even looked forward to help my Dad set up his tool board in his little "Batcave" workshop.

Just a few minutes ago, I came home from work (alone) to our maid expressing her concern that my brother's door was somehow locked and couldn't be opened. She pointed out the keys to all the rooms in the house, most of which were attached to nostalgic key tags from the company where my Dad works. Most had markers labeling what key went where, and she mentioned that the one that was supposedly for my brother's room wasn't working. After sifting through the keys, I noted that it must have been ages since they were labeled, and so assumed that rooms belonged to different people.

I took two keys up with me to check on the situation - the one that was labeled as my brother's room, and one that was labeled simply as "Boy's Room". My room was actually my brother's a few years back, so I nonchalantly checked it. Lo and behold, it worked, so that mean the second key was the culprit.

When I went to check on the lock, however, turning it I noticed that it showed no signs of it being locked, but tried the key anyway. It fit like a glove but it still wouldn't budge. Eventually, I saw that it was a bit off its center when I saw the mechanism inside. After a bit of fiddling, I spotted the problem - the knob got unhinged from the latch, hence the seemingly locked door. And so I busted out the screwdriver (I thank my Grampa everyday whenever I use my barrel of screwdrivers) and started shimmying things around. It took a while 'cause pulling back on the latch turned out to be more difficult than I envisioned it to be. But thanks to a little perseverance, I finally got it to open!

These are the times I wished my Sonic Screwdriver worked. But hey, at least the actual counterpart of it did the trick!

0 comments:

Post a Comment