More than a Grandpa

on Monday, January 17, 2011
おじいちゃんより. Ojīchan yori. trans. More than a Grandpa.

So as is my custom, I composed a poem for my grandfather who recently passed away. You can read it below. I plan to write out a copy of this to bury with him. You will surely be missed, grandpa! ;A;/

More than a Grandpa

Always smiling and joking around,
Is a memory shared by all.
The things you did and the things you said,
Remain with us and the days to come.

When you came home and stayed with us,
We'd spend mornings having breakfast together.
Even if I had to rush to school afterwards,
There'd be plenty of time to talk about anything.

Ever since forever you were always so open,
You let everyone be what they feel they should be.
You never imposed yourself, just gave advice,
And perhaps that was the reason why you were so loved.

The day you were rushed to the hospital,
Was where everything began to dwindle down.
You persevered, but fell short,
Waited long, yet not long enough.

After getting reassurance,
Making sure everyone would be okay.
Finally, you laid to rest,
Breathed your last and went on ahead.

To me you were more than a grandpa,
More than a big belly and a smiling face.
To me you were an irreplaceable friend,
The Grandpa George I'll never ever forget.

0 comments:

Post a Comment