A Diamond

on Saturday, March 6, 2010
I was browsing through one of my old notebooks and found this slip of paper dated March 10, 2006. I recognized it at once and thought of sharing it all to you. ^___^ I got this during my sophomore year of high school that our biology teacher left to us when the school year was nearly over. I hope you guys find inspiration just as I did.

A man once found a cocoon of an emperor moth and took it home to watch the moth emerge. One day a small opening appeared, and for several hours the moth struggled but couldn't seem to force its body past a certain point. Deciding that something was wrong, the man cut the remaining bit of cocoon with scissors. The moth then emerged easily - its body large and swollen, its wings small and shriveled.

The man continued to watch, expecting that in a few hours the wings would spread out into their large natural beauty. That didn't happen. The moth spent its entire life dragging around a swollen body and shriveled wings - it never did fly.

The man consulted a biologist to discover what had happened to the moth. He learned that the constricting cocoon and struggle are both normal and necessary. The struggle actually causes fluid from the moth's body to move into the wings, reducing the size of the body making the wings strong and larger.

The struggle and pressure you are under today is not without value in your life. Don't be afraid of pressure. Remember that pressure is what turns a lump of coal into a diamond. I hope in the next few years, when we see each other again you have become the most expensive diamond this world could ever have. God Bless.

I will disclose my teacher's name for the sake of privacy, but when I, as well as the rest of her students received this very same story of inspiration, I can openly admit that at the time, it brought tears to my eyes. I may not have understood biology as much as I wanted to, but what I did learn from it is that everything has a reason for being done. And it all goes back to the the ideology that 'We are all precious'.

^___________________^ This is going to my memory box.

P.S. Today is my brother's 24th birthday. We'll be having a dinner party for him tonight here in the house. ^___________^v

0 comments:

Post a Comment