Affected by Typhoons

on Wednesday, September 28, 2011
Yesterday was a stressful day. It was a day of panic and boredom at the same time it was almost frustrating. Why, you ask? Let's look at what happened.

My typical Tuesdays would normally begin with me waking up to my 5 AM alarm since I usually hitch a ride with my mom early in the morning to get to my 7:30 AM class. Rains and strong winds were both a factor in effectively waking me up after every attempt at trying to get back to sleep.

The night before I read an email from our Economics professor (the heathen 7:30 class) that due to the storm and the UAAP Finals Game 2 that was originally scheduled yesterday (but was rescheduled to Saturday at 3PM), she wouldn't be checking attendance but would still hold classes unless the admin suspends class. After some contemplation I decided not to go to class. I was lucky enough to decide that as I received a text from TC at around 6AM informing me of the suspension of classes. Happy with that, I sank back to get more sleep.

About an hour or two after, I woke up to the strong winds pounding harshly against my closed windows. Seeing that my fan was still breezing, I noted that the power was still okay and decided to charge some of my electronic gadgets, foreseeing a possible power outage later that day should the storm pursue. I also had the impending dilemma of finishing our group's game script that was due today. It was on Google Docs so I had the mind to download it to Word should anything bad happen. Not long after that the power start to fluctuate and eventually die down altogether, so I was inwardly happy to have done that else I was screwed.

Wanting to save battery I shut my laptop down and decided to work on a draft of the chapters I had yet to write down on pen and paper. Satisfied after writing down two chapters worth of script, I decided to take a break and take a nap since the pounding rain and winds just give me nothing more to do but that. I awoke around 4PM when I realized that the power had revived itself. I managed to watch a few minutes of the Game 1 replay before the power died again. Bored altogether, my sister came into my room wondering what to do before I broke out the question cards from my Harry Potter Scene It? game to pass the time, considering we were both Potterheads.

Soon after, dark came after another nap, and we three sibling had an early dinner with what little outdoor light there still was before we were plunged into pure blackness that the evening brought. Rain continued trickling down and soon my dad, and my mom came home from their work, and we all decided to go out to grab some internet time since power had still to return to our house. What was ironic was that half our street already had power, so it was pretty unlucky for us to still not have ours back. We spent the time from around 7PM until 10PM at Flapjacks, Techno Hub leeching off the free WiFi and giving the parents an opportunity to have some dinner for the lack of any.

During that span of time I took the opportunity to have a chat with Kai who was alone in the house, which was never a good thing since their house had tendencies of flooding during typhoons so of course I was worried for her. On the back of that, I still had to update the script with the draft I had constructed and compose two more chapters before I could put a pin on it and consider it done. I never got to finish it until we got home, where we found to our dismay that there was still no power. We ended up going to bed with the lack of anything more to do.

So on one hand, I should count my blessings that compared to others, Typhoon Pedring handicapped us by chucking away our power most of the day. On the other hand, the power of Pedring that's swept away trees and flooded streets and houses, inconveniencing a lot of people is no laughing matter. Stay safe everyone.

0 comments:

Post a Comment